The top most connectable airports worldwide
Do you know which airport offers the most connections in the world? Here we present a full list of the top 50 most connectable airports around the globe.
1. London Heathrow Airport (LHR), United Kingdom
London Heathrow Airport (LHR) is the biggest airport in Europe, and actually one of the biggest airports in the world. It is also the most connectable airport worldwide, with departures to pretty much every part of the world. The airport is the primary hub for flag carrier British Airways.
2. Frankfurt Airport (FRA), Germany
Another busy airport in Europe is found in the south western part of Germany. Frankfurt Airport (FRA) is heavily trafficked when it comes to connecting flights and offers frequent routes to hundreds of destinations around the world. The dominant carrier at Frankfurt Airport is Lufthansa.
3. Chicago O’Hare Airport (ORD), USA
The most well connected airport in the US is Chicago O’Hare Airport (ORD). The dominant carrier at the airport is United Airlines. This major airport is first and foremost a hub for domestic flights in the US.
4. Amsterdam Schiphol Airport (AMS), Netherlands
Next on the list we find the Dutch airport Amsterdam Schiphol Airport (AMS). This is the primary hub for KLM, and a common pitstop when you are traveling throughout Europe.
5. Munich Airport (MUC), Germany
Germany is the only country with two airports in the top five, with Munich Airport (MUC) being one of the most connectable airports in the world. From this airport you find frequent flights to the rest of Europe, and the world. The dominant carrier at the airport is Lufthansa.
6. Toronto Pearson Airport (YYZ), Canada
Toronto Pearson Airport (YYZ) is the biggest airport in Canada, and mainly offers routes to the rest of North America. This airport is also the primary hub for Air Canada.
7. Charles de Gaulle (CDG), France
Just outside the French capital you find Charles de Gaulle (CDG). This airport serves as the primary hub for Air France, and is well connected to the rest of the world.
8. Atlanta Airport (ATL), USA
Atlanta Airport (ATL) is the home base for Delta Air Lines, and the second most connectable airport in the US. This airport is mostly used by people traveling through the US.
9. Singapore Changi Airport (SIN), Singapore
The first Asian airport to be found in this compilation is Singapore Changi Airport (SIN). The dominant carrier at this airport is Singapore Airlines, and the airport is well connected to the rest of Asia.
10. Hong Kong Airport (HKG), Hong Kong
Another main hub in Asia is Hong Kong Airport (HKG), which has a busy schedule of flights from all over the world. The airport is the main hub for Cathay Pacific Airways.
11. Incheon Airport (ICN), South Korea
12. Kuala Lumpur Airport (KUL), Malaysia
13. Los Angeles Airport (LAX), USA
14. Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK), Thailand
15. Mexico City Airport (MEX), Mexico
16. Soekarno-Hatta Airport (CGK), Indonesia
17. Istanbul Airport (IST), Turkey
18. John F. Kennedy Airport (JFK), USA
19. Dallas Fort Worth Airport (DFW), USA
20. Miami Airport (MIA), USA
21. Houston Airport (IAH), USA
22. Haneda Airport (HND), Japan
23. Newark Liberty Airport (EWR), USA
24. Dubai Airport (DXB), United Arab Emirates
25. Shanghai Pudong Airport (PVG), China
26. Sydney Airport (SYD), Australia
27. Vancouver Airport ( YVR), Canada
28. Madrid Airport (MAD), Spain
29. Manila Airport (MNL), Philippines
30. Moscow Sheremetyevo Airport (SVO), Russia
31. San Francisco Airport (SFO), USA
32. Bogota Airport (BOG), Colombia
33. Guangzhou Airport (CAN), China
34. Rome Fiumicino Airport (FCO), Italy
35. Delhi Airport (DEL), India
36. Beijing Capital Airport (PEK), China
37. Seattle Tacoma Airport (SEA), USA
38. O.R. Tambo Airport (JNB), South Africa
39. Narita Airport (NRT), Japan
40. Zurich Airport (ZRH), Switzerland
41. Montréal Trudeau Airport (YUL), Canada
42. Vienna Airport (VIE), Austria
43. Ho Chi Minh City Airport (SGN), Vietnam
44. Boston Logan Airport (BOS), USA
45. Barcelona Airport (BCN), Spain
46. Guarulhos Airport (GRU), Brazil
47. Auckland Airport (AKL), New Zealand
48. Oslo Airport (OSL), Norway
49. Don Mueang Airport (DMK), Thailand
50. Mumbai Airport (BOM), India
**The list is based on the Megahub Index 2019 made by OAG. The airports are ordered by the number of scheduled connections with international flights in a combination with the number of destinations offered at each airport.